Involved in a Motorcycle Accident?
Being involved in a motorcycle accident, regardless of how serious the road traffic accident was, can be a traumatic experience – especially if you have sustained any injuries. In cases where you are involved in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, there may be a legal remedy. This legal remedy you can seek by way of a motorcycle accident claim.
Common Motorcycle Accident Claims*
According to the Road Safety Authority, the most common types of motorcycle incidents and collisions occurred between 2 vehicles (63.4%), 1.1% involved a motorcyclist and a cyclist and 1.1% involved a collision between a motorcyclist and a pedestrian. In two-vehicle collisions, 70% were between a motorcyclist and a private car with the remaining 30% involving, trucks, jeeps, tractors or pickup trucks towing a trailer.
The most common motorcycle accident claims are:
What do I do if I'm involved in a motorcycle accident?
Following a motorcycle accident, there are a number of steps you should follow:
Seek medical attention
Your health is your wealth and should be your first priority. Immediately after a motorcyclist accident, take a second to assess yourself to determine if you have any injuries. Then check if anybody else involved in the accident need medical attention. If you or anyone else involved has sustained a serious injury ensure that you contact an ambulance to attend the scene.
For minor injuries, you must remember that minor injuries where you ‘feel fine’ could progress to a more serious injury in the future. In this case it is always better to be safe than sorry and advisable that you go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) or local GP to be checked out.
Gather all relevant information at the scene
It is important that you collect all the relevant information in connection with your accident:
- Details of another driver(s)/people involved: name, address, contact information, vehicle registration number and vehicle insurance information. You can also offer your own information to the others involved in the accident.
- Name and contact details of any emergency service workers at the scene – paramedic/Gardaí.
- Take a picture of the scene, from different angles; this will help your solicitor understand how the accident happened.
- If there are any CCTV recordings of the accident, such as CCTV cameras in a nearby shop, for example, you should try to obtain this footage.
- Dash Cam footage – if you have any.
- Record the time and date of the accident.
- Weather conditions at the time.
Report the incident to the Gardaí
Regardless of how minor or serious the motorcycle accident was, it is important that you call the Gardaí to report the accident immediately.
For minor accidents, the Gardaí may tell you that they will not be attending the scene. It may be a case where you can settle the issue yourself. In this scenario, the appropriate information should be exchanged. In these cases, it is also important that you visit your nearest Garda station to request that they take details of the accident and to take your statement about the accident.
For more serious motorcycle accidents, where an ambulance has been called, the Gardaí may arrive at the scene to assess, take statements from the people involved and any witnesses.
Contact your insurance company
If you are the driver of the vehicle involved in a motorcycle accident it is important to inform your own insurance company so they have a record.
Speak to a motorcycle accident claims solicitor
If you are considering moving forward with a motorcycle accident claim for any personal injuries sustained it is advisable that you speak with a motorcycle accident claims solicitor as soon as possible. If you are proceeding with a claim, the first step will be submitting your claim to the Injuries Board for assessment. A motorcycle accident solicitor can help you in preparing your application to the Injuries Board and ensure that you follow the process in the correct format, meaning that you can move forward with your claim quickly without unnecessary delays.
It is important to remember to keep copies of any expenses that you have incurred as a result of the accident. It is also imperative to retain copies of medical reports or Garda reports, where possible as you will need them when making a claim.