Accidents in a Public Place*

Have you been injured in an accident in a public place*?

If you have been injured in a public place, due to the negligence of the persons responsible for that area, you may be entitled to pursue legal action.

We’re here to help.

  • We use our expert knowledge and 30 years' experience to give you the voice you need.
  • We use non-legal language and provide practical and impartial advice through every stage of the process.
  • Our team of experts will be there to help you every step of the way.

Contact Us

+353 1 649 9900

Lines are open Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.
Alternatively, you can fill out our contact form and we’ll call you back.

Tell Us About Your Case

Fill in your details below and we'll contact you to discuss your case in complete confidentiality.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Public Liability Claims*

Slips, trips and falls, also referred to as public liability claims*, can occur in almost any environment. From tripping on a pavement while out and about as a result of an uneven or broken footpath, a fall in a supermarket on a wet or slippery floor, or a trip or fall in the workplace. All of these occurrences can lead to serious personal injury*.

Common Accident Claims*

A Duty of Care

What is important to note is that in a public place there is a duty of care on the persons responsible for this area to ensure that a personal injury* does not occur. In some cases a slip, trip or fall can be attributed to the person who suffered the accident. However, in many other cases, the accident can be attributed to the negligence of the persons responsible for the upkeep of the area. These are the people with the legal duty of care to protect people from injury.

What to do after an accident in a public place*?

Following an accident in a public place*, there are a number of steps you should follow:

  1. Seek medical attention

    Your health is your wealth and should be your first priority. Immediately after a public place accident*, take a second to assess yourself to determine if you have any injuries and seek the relevant medical attention. If you have sustained a serious injury ensure that you contact an ambulance to attend the scene.

    For minor injuries, you must remember that minor injuries where you ‘feel fine’ could progress to a more serious injury in the future. In this case it is always better to be safe than sorry and advisable that you go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) or local GP to be checked out.

  2. Report the accident

    If you have an accident in a public place* it is important to report it to the persons who are in charge of the upkeep of property.

    Examples of such are:

  3. Identify any witnesses

    If possible, try to collect the contact details of anybody that witnessed the accident. This may be of good use if you do decide to pursue a public place accident claim*. It is also useful to find out if there is any CCTV in the area where the accident happened.

  4. Document the incident

    It is important that you collect all the relevant information in connection with your accident:

    • How the accident happened
    • Details of any witnesses
    • If there are any CCTV recordings of the accident
    • Take pictures of where the accident happened and what caused you to slip, trip or fall
  5. Speak to a public place accident solicitor*

    If you are considering moving forward with a public place accident claim* for any personal injuries sustained it is advisable that you speak with a public place accident claims solicitor* as soon as possible. If you are proceeding with a claim, the first step will be submitting your claim to the Injuries Board for assessment. A public place accident solicitor* can help you in preparing your application to the Injuries Board and ensure that you follow the process in the correct format, meaning that you can move forward with your claim quickly without unnecessary delays.

    It is important to remember to keep copies of any expenses that you have incurred as a result of the accident. It is also imperative to retain copies of medical reports or incident report forms where possible as you will need them when making a claim.

Once these steps have been taken and if your claim is something that we can help you with, we can begin to take action for you.

We Look After Your Case

At Tracey Solicitors LLP, we are passionate about helping our customers focus on their recovery from public place accidents, while our team of solicitors and legal executives navigate the legal world for them, to bring their case to a close.

How do I make a claim?

Once you have gathered all the relevant information in relation to your injury it is then time to move forward with your claim. It is important to use a specialist public place accident* solicitor to help you with this.

  1. Prepare the information for a solicitor

    When you decide you want to move forward with your public place accident claim* it is important to have all the relevant information to hand when contacting a solicitor. Important information to have on hand at this point is:

    • Date of the accident
    • Location of the accident
    • Details of who/what caused the accident
    • Specifics of what happened
    • Who did you report the accident to?
    • Is there CCTV that may have captured the accident?
    • Details of your injuries
    • Details of hospital or GP attended
    • Any pictures you may have taken of the scene of the accident and/or your injuries
  2. Solicitor becomes your trusted advisor

    As a solicitor is aware of the public place accident claim* process they can avoid any legal bumps in the road you might encounter if you did this yourself. It is their job to be your trusted advisor on all legal matters throughout your case.

  3. Solicitor obtains a medical report

    One of the most important documents in your case is a medical report. Your solicitor will ask for your doctor’s or Hospital details so he can obtain a report on your injuries. This report will then be used to allow us progress your case.

  4. Solicitor prepares the Injuries Board application

    As soon as your solicitor has gathered all the information, your public place accident claim* will be submitted to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board for assessment. You solicitor will do this for you. Once the Injuries Board assess your claim your solicitor will revert with a suggested settlement amount. At this stage you have a choice to accept the Injuries Board assessment or reject it and move the next steps.

    At this point one of two scenarios will unfold:

    a. If both you and your employer accept the Injuries Board assessment, your case is settled and the person at fault will be ordered to pay settlement to you.

    b. If either you or your employer reject the Injuries Board assessment, then you move to the next stage and your solicitor will issue legal proceedings.

  5. Possible case outcomes

    Before you start to concern yourself with court and everything that comes with it, it’s important to understand that only a very small percentage of cases actually make it to a courtroom.

    Settlement meetings will be arranged where a settlement can be negotiated. Most cases are settled at this point without ever having to step foot into a courtroom and remember it’s your solicitor’s job to be with you every step of the way, right beside you to ensure that your best interests are met at all stages. Your solicitor is to be your trusted advisor throughout the process and to let you focus on your recovery, as they focus on settling your case.

Margaret's Story

Margaret fell crossing the road due to roadworks while doing her Christmas shopping. She injured her knee badly. Margaret found the claims process with Tracey Solicitors LLP straight forward and was put at ease straight away.

  • They took my case and within a short space of time I had my claim settled with no hassle whatsoever.

For a confidential discussion about your claim, contact us today

What are the Legal Time Limits?

The statute of limitations are the legal time limits on how long you have to make a claim — these vary depending on the situation. The general rule for most personal injury cases* is that the person has two years from the date of the accident or date of knowledge of the accident* to make a claim for compensation. Contacting a solicitor to discuss your case will help you in determining how long you have left to make a claim.

Learn more about Time Limits

Trust in Tracey Solicitors LLP

Being involved in a workplace accident can be a difficult experience. At Tracey Solicitors LLP, we understand this and know that the world of accident claims is something you may not have experience with. This is where our client-focused approach comes into play, to put your mind at ease and make the process as easy as possible for you.

Trust in Tracey Solicitors LLP to provide you with the support and guidance you need so you can focus on your recovery while we manage your claim. With state of the art case management systems, utmost in client care, total transparency and communication in a language you can understand, working with your solicitor has never been easier.

+353 1 649 9900

Client Service