Workplace Safety – Handle With Care!
Cleaning products come with a warning and for a good reason, as some of these products can be toxic to the touch. On a daily basis, we are bombarded with warnings and safety messages to which we have become immune, either because some of them are logical and we inherently know what to do and of course, what not to do with certain substances. Having said that, it is important to keep these safety measures in mind at all times, whether it be at home (keeping them away from kids), at work ensuring the safety of employees around you, or if you work in a kitchen so that you do not contaminate food.
In the workplace safety of the employees should be the number one concern, and in cases where a person suffers a personal injury as a result of the negligence of the cleaning staff, this could lead to a personal injury claim against the employer or in a restaurant situation if food is contaminated by the misuse of cleaning products causing an illness or food poisoning of a guest, this could also lead to claim against the restaurant or the restaurant being served with a closure notice until they clean up their act. One of the most feared situation involving cleaning products is in the home and it doesn’t bear thinking about what can happen if a curious child gets their hands on a cleaning product!
New Warnings on Cleaning Products
You may have noticed some new labels on cleaning products such as detergents and the like lately. This is part of a drive to promote safety in the use of these items, so to help build awareness and limit the risk of accidents, we’ve set out a short guide to what these symbols mean as a ‘refresher’.
Cleaning products are safe when used and stored according to the instructions on the label. Always be sure to read and follow the directions carefully.
The following phrases and icons (which can be found on packs/bottles of detergents and cleaning products) should always be taken into account.
If you require information on safe/best use practices please go to ‘read the label’.
Keep away from children.
Keep away from eyes. If product gets into eyes rinse thoroughly with water.
Rinse hands after use.
Sensitive or damaged skin. (People with sensitive or damaged skin should avoid prolonged contact with the product.)
Do not ingest – If product is ingested then seek medical advice.
Do not change container to store contents.
Do not mix with other products.
Ventilate the room after use.
Use with dry hands.
Close the lid properly.
Close the bag properly.
Do not pierce, break or cut.
For further useful information you can visit www.cleanright.eu