7 Out Of 10 Car Accident Claims Are For Neck And Upper Back Injuries *
In the month of December 2018, the Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB) published its whiplash injury stats and revealed that 70.8% of all injury claims relating to car accidents * were for injuries related to neck and upper back *. This report involved analysis of 4,500 awards made in the first 6 months of 2018.
PIAB is the independent State body that is tasked with assessing personal injury claims * in Ireland. While there are some exceptions, most personal injury claims * must be submitted to the Injuries Board first. Since its creation in 2004, PIAB has assessed more than 130,000 claims (in an average of 7.3 months as of 2017), of which 60% accepted their assessment and suggested award. The other 40% moved passed PIAB stage and moved to legal proceedings.
What does PIAB class as Whiplash *?
Using the World Health Organisation system for categorising injuries, cases where the injury was predominantly soft tissue one to the neck or upper back have been classed as whiplash injury *. This classification also includes strain or sprain of the cervical or thoracic spine, soft tissue injuries to neck, shoulder and back.
Cases where injuries (soft tissue injuries or fractures) to the lower body or limbs were excluded.
* Average total award for a neck and upper back injury claim * was €18,581 in general damages (pain and suffering) and €1,456 in special damages (medical expenses, loss of earnings and other injury related costs).
* Overall awards were split 50/50 between male and female claimants.
* Average award for males was €18,126 in general damages plus €1,460 in special damages.
* Average award for females was €19,016 in general damages and €1,456 in special damages.
* Average award for drivers was €19,066 in general damages and €1,734 in special damages.
* Average award for passengers was €17,026 plus €857 in special damages.
* 55% of claimants were awarded between €10,000 and €20,000.
* 88% of claimants were awarded under €30,000.
* Average total award for all road accident claims * in this study was €20,472 in general damages plus €2,326 in special damages.
The report was compiled based on the World Health Organisation system for categorising injuries. PIAB uses this to code its data. Using this model, PIAB hopes to move to a sustainable and predictable personal injury claim * system in Ireland which will predict awards for certain injuries and ultimately replace the current Book of Quantum.
Tracey Solicitors have 30 years’ of experience as specialist personal injury solicitors *. Tracey Solicitors ensure not to overwhelm you with legal jargon. We can provide you with legal advice and guidance with your best interest at heart, in a language that you can understand. For a confidential discussion please feel free to phone us on 00353 (0) 1 649 9900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Tell us about your case.